Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Happy 'Ber Day... or is it Brrrrr Day?

We began married life with Rusty still in college and working as a football coach and assistant athletic director, so our life followed the rhythm of his sport seasons. When September 1st rolled around, the chill in the air heralded the official beginning of football season, which for us meant cool Saturday afternoons in the stadium, followed by chili dinners at our tiny apartment. We realized that September also marked our favorite cool "ber" months, "September, October, November, December" and so we decided to commemorate September 1st as "'Ber / Brrr" Day, and celebrate with the first chili dinner of the year.
After 17 years, this has become one of the most anticipated celebrations of our family, whether enjoyed with a large gathering of friends by the fire pit, or just the two of us with toddlers, barely able to feed ourselves for the little mouths clamoring for their own bites. Each year is different, but special in the way it represents our family at that stage of life. So today when Rusty awakened me with a gentle "Happy 'Ber Day" this morning, I felt a little butterfly in my stomach, remembering the fond memories made and anticipating the fun the next few months hold for our family. Guess I better go get out the crock pot!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Kelly, I LOVE it! What a great idea! Oh how I wish we had a chill in the air here in Texas. Although it was 73 this morning and people are commenting on how cool it feels! Ha! I guess it's all about perspective, isn't it?

I'm excited, too about all the fun things to look forward to in the coming months. This is the beginning of my favorite time of year. :)

Our family loves chili, too. I'd love your recipe...unless it's a family secret! :)

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.