Friday, April 04, 2008

Book review

Do you ever read a book that just changes your heart from the very first passage? The Mission of Motherhood, by Sally Clarkson, has done that for me. I have slowly been reading it since Christmas, and savoring the richness of her words. I pick it up every few days, and allow myself to read short bits before putting it down and pondering what I have read. Typically I skim through books, finishing them in a matter of days, and moving on to the next.

This one, however, has such a powerful message for me that I want to prolong reading, and let it soak into my soul where I won't quickly forget it. She writes so eloquently about the value of mothering, and of God's perspective on this most important position. She offers encouragement and suggestions, tempered gently with examples form her own experiences in this role. As I read, I am encouraged and excited that I have been blessed with this chance to raise two little girls to be women of God.

This book has encouraged me in so many ways, and inspired me to be true to what I am and what I feel God has called me to be. I recommend it to every mother I know; I feel like I have this treasure that they all must need as well. I don't know that it would speak to everyone the way it has spoken to me, but I think it offers something for every woman who is curious about the impact she has on her children, and help her consider that role, if nothing else. So I am curious, has anyone else read Sally Clarkson's writing, and did it change your perception of mothering?

3 comments:

Susan said...

I think it is so wonderful that your generation has such good books and Christian instructions on child raising. Unfortunately my generation did not and had mis-information from the likes of Dr. Spock.
Susan

Katie said...

This book sounds like something I need to read! I feel so priviledged to be a mother. I, like you, want to raise my daughter to be a woman of the Lord. I'll have to look for this book now!

Amanda said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I've not read anything by Sally Clarkson, but a couple of friends just heard her speak at a local conference, and since, I've been scouring Half Price Books for any of her stuff. After your recommendation, it looks like I may need to break down and go to Lifeway.