Thursday, January 10, 2008

Rest Amidst The Mess

My house is a mess.

I still have two fully decorated Christmas trees to dis-assemble and return to the basement storage room. Between the girls bedrooms lumbers a ginormous tub holding Christmas presents which need to somehow squeeze their way into already full toy bins. The laundry room floor is covered in clothes needing washed, and baskets filled with clean clothes to be folded are perched precariously on top of the tub of Christmas toys.

My bed is unmade, and the dog could benefit from a bath. I have 20+ debit transactions to record before my husband tackles the checkbook tonight, and I just had a call from Wal*Mart letting me know they found my purse. What? I didn't even know it was missing! How embarrassing! I forgot to order my new 2008 planner until yesterday, so I am pretending it is January 10, 2007 and scribbling over last years notes.

The fact that I am calm and not stressed out means one of two things: either I am having some type of clutter denial break down , or (and I think it is this one) I am finally learning to trust that all earthly things are temporal, and my treasure is stored up for me, neat and orderly, in Heaven. God's grace is sufficient for each day, even the ones that are a little topsy turvy because of my own human frailties. Instead of rushing around worrying, I need to rest in the knowledge that He goes ahead of me, and makes the way for me to accomplish whatever is needed of me.

Exodus 14:14 The Lord fights for you; you need only be still.

Hebrews 4:10 For he who has once entered God's rest also has ceased from the weariness and pain of human labors, just as God rested from those labors peculiarly His own.

7 comments:

The Nester said...

Thank you for Exodus 14:14 -- I find that I'm usually the opposite of being still. Ahhhh. That might just have to be my verse this year!

Sarah said...

This is beautiful! Thank you so much for this post. Perfect timing. :)

Janelle said...

I have never read the Exodus 14:14 verse. Or if I had then it didn't apply like it does now.

Thank you for those Sweet Words.

You will get your work done, but your attitude is pleasing to the Lord.

Jenny said...

Are you sure you weren't at my house??? I can totally relate to this post!! Thanks for the scripture verses. It puts things into perspective.

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

What a precious outlook. Loved the refreshing honesty and the heart behind it:)

Brenda said...

I am glad you have peace! Reading this I wanted to come over and help you. Not that my own laundry room floor can be seen...ahem.

Great outlook!

Unknown said...

BTW, I saw Sally Clarkson mentioned in your side bar. She spoke at a mom's retreat I attended a couple of years ago. She is awesome!

Maybe it's weird, but the fact that your house is as messy as mine was really encouraging to me and that is so neat that you have peace about it!