Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Good Word For A Good Day

I went to be last night feeling a little unsettled. I spoke too freely with a coworker and shared some information that was not confidential, but which I wish I had kept to myself. I also talked with my employer, and that conversation didn't go as I had planned. Neither conversation was negative nor sinful, I just let fear and pride get the best of me and I spoke without seeking God's counsel. I was afraid the information I shared with a co-worker would be used by her to benefit herself, when in fact it really pertained to me. I worried that I had "blown an opportunity" for myself and there was no way to fix things to my advantage. The result was me feeling remorseful that I seem to say too much to some people, and not enough to others.

This morning I knew I needed to ask God for help to lift my mood and turn my thoughts to Him, and to make this a good day. My prayer was for me to first, trust that God would work all things together for my good, knowing that my intentions are pure and I am striving for truth. Then second, for God to speak to me and show me His way and to allow me peace- to just let it go! (Something I struggle with...)

As I sat down for my Bible time, I picked up The Message, a gift from Cailin's teacher and not my usual Bible. I felt like today would be a good day for simplicity, to hear God's Word in the most understandable form my tired brain could find. Here is what I read:

1 Peter 3:8-12
Summing up: Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble. That goes for all of you, no exceptions. No retaliation. No sharp tongued sarcasm. Instead, bless- that's your job, to bless. You'll be a blessing and also get a blessing.

Whoever wants to embrace life
and see the day fill up with good,
Here's what you do:
Say nothing evil or hurtful;
Snub evil and cultivate good;
Run after peace for all you're worth.
God looks on all this with approval,
listening and respoding well to what He's asked;
But He turns His back
on those who do evil things.

I love the way God meets me where I am, when I ask Him. He is so willing to provide just the right Word to every situation, if I just take the time to trust Him instead of stewing and trying to solve things myself. I asked for a good day in Him, and he took me to a verse that guides me in that very pursuit. I have so much to do today, but I felt His prompting that I really needed to spend time with Him first, that he had something I needed before I could handle today in His joy.

I am so glad I obeyed that prompting !

4 comments:

Janelle said...

Thank you for your honesty. I think it is so easy to say and do things that we shouldn't and regrets always follow.

Thank you for the scripture you shared. I love the simplicity of it. Run from evil, do good. I can do that!

Unknown said...

Yes, great thoughts and great scriptures! If we think of others instead of ourselves (something I am constantly trying to do) we will not have so much issue trying to walk in the spirit and it sounds like you are walking in the spirit.

Christy said...

Thanks for visiting and for commenting... I haven't been good about writing much b/c I have been so busy. I enjoyed your read today. Thanks for sharing and for the scripture! Good word!

Susan said...

I love my King James and I "think" in Kind James because I've put so much to memory but I love The Message, too. God uses it all in our lives.
Susan