Thursday, June 18, 2009

And They're Off!

Nana and Papa pulled up at 8:30 a.m., and were greeted by two overjoyed girls bouncing off the front porch with luggage in tow. The girls had decided to wait in the front porch rockers, so they didn't lose valuable time waiting for them to walk up the driveway and ring the bell. Too sweet! Why the rush? Well, this is the first camping trip of the season, actually the inaugural trip for the new 5th wheel camper Nana and Papa just had to have, so their girls could sleep in bunk beds and have their own little cozy space.

Someone once told my parents to enjoy the grandchildren when they are little, because there will be a day when they don't always want to hang with you. Well, they took it to heart and do their best to soak up the lovin' while it lasts. I have no fear of things changing anytime soon... these girls are crazy for their grandparents that once they take off with them we almost have to abduct them to get them home!

Adding to the excitement of this trip, though, is the added bonus of heading to a location the girls have dreamed of since reading "Misty of Chincoteague" a few years ago. Finally, they get to experience the destination I was blessed to visit summer after summer, Chincoteague Island, Virginia. They are so eager to see the wild ponies that roam the island (actually they are on Assateague Island), see the lighthouse, ride their bicycles all over this quaint little fishing village, and go crabbing for the first time.

We are heading over to meet them this weekend, and the memory of driving over the bridge and crossing into town gives me butterflies in my stomach. The last time I visited was on my honeymoon, 17 years ago. I can't wait to see things through the eyes of the girls, and show them all my old favorite places, including where Mommy and Daddy shared the first days of our married life. (Somehow I think they will find this far less interesting than an actual pony sighting!)

Ironic how life really does go full circle. The first time I visited Chincoteage I was 12 years old, and now I am returning, seeing it through the eyes of my own 12 and 10 year old daughters. What joy!

No comments: